Monday, 22 April 2013

Post Sara Killey Walk

Well yesterday was interesting, I think I was more prepared on the practical things like food and drink than I was last year but lacking on the physical preparation Im thinking.
The weather was a mixed bag which didn't help certainly at the start which showed heavy rain between Peel and Kirk Michael, it must have been bad as I even changed clothes which doesn't normally happen.  Great atmosphere and people very friendly along the way.  At the start me and the Wingman were looking to break six hours and to be honest the pace was pretty hot from the outset and looking good.  We were eating and drinking, things were going good.  Thank you to the wife and kids for great support throughout the day couldn't have finished it without you. Between The Lhen and Bride we were clocking under 12 minute miles which took its toll coming out of Andreas for me anyway! As I came through Andreas I realised that the 6 hour target had gone and last years 6hr 25 was looking in doubt too.  My brother made a pertinent point at St Judes and simply said "Lets just finish it!"
I felt stiff and achy and it dawned on me that I hadn't done half as much training as I did last year and the time reflected it getting in at 6hr 56 happy it was under 7 hours !!!!
Although my legs ached I actually only had one blister on my left heel which this morning hasnt come to anything, thats it no other side effects or ill effects (Another positive!)  I did try something different by using Morgan Blue Ice Gel on my feet prior to the start.  I know your not meant to try anything different or change anything but I rolled the dice and gambled and it seemed to pay off, its not as gloopy as vaseline, goes on really well and seemed to do the trick.
I would like to say thank you to all the organisers, marshalls, medical peeps, supporters and other competitors who made the day both enjoyable and safe!

I just realised that the above picture looks like we are doing Heads Shoulders Knees and Toes!!!!!! (We werent!!!!"

So till next time, keep training its not long now!!!!!!!

"I can accept failure -- everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
-- Michael Jordan




1 comment:

  1. Sara Killey is like the dress rehearsal (with apologies to the Fire Brigade ;) ) so it's the time to try things out as training is never the same as race conditions.

    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete