Saturday, 12 January 2013

Night Walking and Surprise Entries!!!

Tuesday this week saw me doing a five mile loop around Ramsey, it was a mild evening, no wind and was very pleasant, I hadn't really planned my route but I headed from the swimming pool where I had dropped my eldest off and went off towards Queens Promenade and up towards Lheaney Road turning right at May Hill passed the bus station and left at The Swan in the direction of Ramsey Grammar.  The last time I had walked passed The Swan I was heading in the opposite direction and there were people stood drinking and cheering me on.  Not this time though!!!!
Its funny really, since the Parish I get flashback in certain places as I travel around the Island.  For example, being told to turn  my lights on at the top of Bride Hill, the punks outside The Mitre in Kirk Michael, chips in Peel and the lake on The Lake on the TT Access Road!!!!! :0
Back to Tuesdays effort, there were loads of people out walking I counted at least 18, I wonder how many of those will be competing and or completing this years 100th Walk.


On Thursday I decided to try something different, I wanted to start building up stamina and get the cardio working so I went for a seven mile loop up north, one mile jog, second mile walk, third mile jog etc (I'm sure you get it!)  It went well to be fair I felt very strong although I hadn't calculated that I would have to run up the Lhen mountain at mile five, and to be completely honest I didn't get all the way up without stopping, that will be a challenge for me as I get fitter.  In my defence though it was pitch black and although I did have a decent headtorch, when I run it bobbles around and is very uncomfortable, I must get it fit to my head properly before I set off!
Heres a tip for anyone considering heading passed Andreas on the big day make sure that you don't scrimp on a head torch get a decent one and also rear lights, I attached my rear lights to my water belt which I found still flashing 2 days later in the box in the garage when I finally get around to clearing my kit away which was about the same time as I could walk properly again!!!!!
I remember last year when we came passed the Ginger Hall towards Lezayre it was pitch black and there are no street lights and very little houses providing light.  Its quite unnerving really and I was being extra cautious due to the pavement surface which is terrible to be fair, forcing us onto the roadway which has its own hazards being members of the public driving towards you!!! some of them were like mosquito's flying towards a bright light, the bright light being headtorches!!!!!

Friday brought a stroll with the wife and our two Labradors from Regaby to Andreas a lovely 3 mile leg stretch, it was fresh, icy, clear and very pleasant, keeping the cogs oiled!
Im off to work tonight so wont get out today or tomorrow, So this weeks totals - 15 miles in just over 3 hours.

The picture that is posted on the Parish Website of me and my brother is obviously within the last four hundred yards and I remember that I felt sick, far too many energy drinks & energy tabs throughout the day, I was on just water from Laxey....... and chocolate cake!!!!!!

Last night I was very pleased and surprised about a certain entry this year.  I may have lost one of my support drivers but I have gained my walking buddy and best mate on the journey again......... My brother !!!! I genuinely didn't see that coming!!! I have been thinking of how I would cope with the hours without someone by my side, it would be fine to Peel as there is loads of people around and the atmosphere is electric but after that I was concerned, I don't need to be now though!!!!! :0 Happy Days!!!!!! The TEAM back together!!!!

I thought the below quote is quite apt in relation to the surprise entry this week!

Failures are made only by those who fail to dare, not by those who dare to fail.
Lester B. Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment